Sunday, April 1, 2012

First Lady Wants Monsanto GMO Corn for White House Garden


Photo courtesy FEMA



WASHINGTON (DP) First Lady Michelle Obama announced today that she had requested genetically modified [GMO] corn seed from Monsanto to plant in the White House vegetable garden. Up until now the vegetable garden has been all organic.

Asked why she was making this change, an assistant to the First Lady said the First Family had become uncomfortable about the lack of GMO food in their diet. "The administration has fast-tracked authorization of GMO crops through the USDA and FDA,* and the President and First Lady thought it was hypocritical to expose the rest of the country to genetically altered food without eating it themselves."

Protesters from GMOsForAll complained that GMO corn seed was only available to farmers, and that the White House was pulling rank on other home gardeners by going directly to Monsanto.

A GMOsForAll spokesman said, "We have just as much right as the First Lady to GMO corn. Why shouldn't our pregnant wives and their fetuses have the latest toxins?" The protesters were somewhat mollified to learn that almost all corn and soy products in processed food are GMO (unless the food is labeled organic).*

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney also commented on the garden, saying, "If I had grown GMO vegetables as governor of Massachusetts it would have been completely different from the Obama administration doing it."



Happy April Fool's Day!



* No joke. Under President Obama's USDA and FDA approvals for GMO corn, alfalfa, and sugar beets were streamlined. YieldGard corn's toxins are found in the blood of pregnant women and fetuses. A recent study showed that hamsters fed a GMO diet had high rates of sterility within three generations. Here's an infographic of the processed foods likely to contain GMOs. To avoid GMOs in processed food, look for the USDA 100% Organic label.

If you live in California you can sign a petition for legislation to require all GMO food to be labeled.


Hooray! GMO labeling is on the November 2012 ballot in California! 


To support labeling food that is GMO -- just as food is labeled with how much carb or sodium it has -- go to Label GMOs.


To leave a comment, click on the word COMMENTS below

For a free email subscription to this blog, go to the upper-right sidebar

12 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

Ugh, this makes me sick. I'm guessing they don't actually eat the food from the white house garden. But what a disappointment. Guess she's finally caved to the lobbying powers in Washington, most likely for some campaign donations.

I'll be voting for a candidate with no ties to big business this election without regard to party affiliation!

Chiot's Run said...

Just kidding - April Fools :)

Kat said...

Haha! You actually had me going there.

Laure's Gardens said...

My hackles were rising as I read the first paragraph, all the while thinking, "say it isn't so". Then I realized--it's April Fools Day! You had my blood pressure up for awhile, Charlotte! Great spoof!

Emily said...

You got me! (and I signed the petition)

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Susy, Kat, Laure & Emily, Thanks for visiting and sharing in the April Foolishness, and for supporting the GMO labeling campaign!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

...and so the hypocrisy stands. Fast tracked, but not planted ;) Whether GMO's are safe or not is not the point. As informed consumers, we all have the right to know what we may be about to consume, whether the food is food is processed, or fresh.

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Curbstone Valley, You said it, sister!

Bessie Wills said...

hahaha you got me there. I was shocked, the First Lady want's GMO corn? I think she's a natural enthusiast.

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Bessie, If the California GMO labeling initiative passes in November, at least we will know when we are eating GMOs and can make a choice.

Bonnie said...

I was googling about Monsanto and got this webpage. Of course when I read it, I thought it was true not knowing I had googled onto a spoof page. If I had not read the comments I would have left the webpage thinking the first lady was growing GMO corn in her garden.,...This makes me very upset!!I really think that you should make it VERY clear that it is an April Fools joke. For example Say ..."Ha!Ha! Ha! Happy April Fool's Day!" in LARGE letters!
or something more like that ....AS I skimmed the article I totally missed the little "Happy April Fools Day" at the bottom and it wasn't enough....Yes it is a bit amusing, after the fact, but not at the cost of anyone believing that it is true! You have to understand that the internet in different from a humor magazine. People will google things and then read them out of context, not realizing that they have stumbled onto a satirical article. If you support non GMO's and/or the president you should be concerned about spreading mis-information unintentionally....

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Bonnie, Thank you for your suggestions. I have added a Welcome box at the top of the blog that says spoof news stories are on the menu here. I hope people read carefully. And I hope the Obama administration cleans up its act on GMOs.